Black Mold, Toxic Mold – Dangers and Risks

Find & Eliminate Mold to Prevent Health Problems & Property Damage

Mold comes in many forms and different types of mold grow in different locations and on different things. Mold, in any form, is a fungus that grows starting from a microscopic spore and rapidly spreads in damp or moist locations. Stachybotrys chartarum, commonly called black mold, is often referred to as toxic mold.

Where Black Mold Grows and How to Detect It

Black mold can grow anywhere there is sufficient moisture to allow growth. It can grow outdoors, indoors, in any room, in storage areas and tubs, or anywhere else. Hanging a wet coat in an enclosed closet and leaving it there for a period of time can cause black mold growth both on the coat and any other items inside. It is generally noticeable by the black spots or holes on damp clothing and has a very distinct smell.

Leaking storage sheds provide a perfect incubator for black mold year round. The mold easily grows on the walls, ceiling, floor, and anything inside the storage shed. Additionally, even non-leaking facilities can encourage mold growth. Black mold is characterized by its greenish black color and is often slimy. It finds its home in window sills behind curtains and on the inside of exterior walls, especially if furniture has been pushed up against the wall restricting air flow. Any sign of black mold should be immediately treated to prevent further growth, damage and health issues.

The Dangers of Black Mold

Black mold can cause many problems for homeowners, schools, office buildings or any other environment where it begins growth. The green, slimy mold grows rapidly and can cause damage to walls, furniture, floors, clothing or anything it comes into contact with as it eats away at its host. In addition to the environmental damage that can occur, black mold has been referred to as toxic mold due to the health risks associated with exposure.

Check Out: How to Avoid Mold Damage to a Home

Health Problems Related to Black Mold

Black mold can cause a number of serious medical issues in both people and animals. Black mold can cause allergic reactions, respiratory-related problems and chronic sinus infections. The first sign that these health problems may be related to a mold problem occur when the symptoms are made worse in one location of the home or building or when multiple people in the same home or building consistently suffer from the same symptoms.

Beyond the basic health related problems, the Volatile Organic Compounds that are produced by black mold and other fungus can cause toxic poisoning. Exposure to high levels of these compounds can lead to irritation of the mucous membranes and affect the central nervous system. This can cause dizziness, headaches, decreased attention span and difficulty in concentration.

Eliminating and Preventing Black Mold

The most effective way to prevent black mold growth is to prevent excessive moisture in locations at risk for mold growth. Without moisture, mold cannot grow. Catching mold growth early on is essential for easily elimination. When possible to do so, all items containing black mold should be discarded. In the case of walls and larger items, it is absolutely necessary to remove all signs of mold in order to prevent re-growth. The extent to which walls, floors and ceilings will need to be replaced depends on the degree of damage caused by the mold.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.