Bathroom Tile Selection and Design Ideas
Bathroom tile can set the tone for the space. Creating a mood with bathroom tiles can lend a unique character to your bathroom. No bathroom can be complete without nice floor tiles that compliment the fittings and fixtures. A dynamic pattern on your bathroom floor or a contrasting wall color can really set the tone of your bathroom.
No longer are bathrooms limited in the choice of tiles to plain white, square shapes, and glazed ceramic finishes. Today, there are several hundreds of different styles, colors, sizes when it comes to finding that, and elusive, perfect bathroom tile. The materials are no longer limited to ceramic. You get tiles in travertine, sandstone, marble, granite to name a few.
If you are worried about the tile sizes for your bathroom, then quit worrying because now tiles are available in a variety of sizes. Piece them together can create a unique, striking, and eye-catching designing either on the floor or on the wall of your bathroom. If you think, you are not very creative cover the entire wall from floor to ceiling with both the same type of tile as well as same color. Or you can create a completely different effect by mixing it up and having one color of tile at the bottom of the wall and a different (contrast) on the top of the same wall separated by thin and textured pieces that work as a chair rail clearly distinguishing between the two types of tiles used. Your imagination is the only limitation when it comes to bathroom design.
Depending on the bathroom tile idea you have in mind, you will be able to choose tiles that suit the desired décor the best. The starting point for bathroom decoration is the range of shapes, sizes, textures, patterns, and materials these tiles are available in. A creative bathroom tile design idea can help you have the bathroom of your dreams.
If tile isn’t part of your plan, consider vinyl tile. Learn how to install it in this post
Ceramic is the preferred material for bathroom floor tile as it is durable, offers resistance to dampness, and is non-slippery to walk on and use when wet. It is also easy to clean and stains can be removed with lesser effort. Of course, this does not mean that other materials aren’t user-friendly or durable. You can select tiles in the materials of your choice, but check with the salesperson on durability and life.
Here are some bathroom tile ideas than can help you create the bathroom that you always wished for.
- Solid Color Tiles: Floor tiles in solid colors for your bathroom can help create a warm ambience. You can use tile borders in contrasting colors to the floor tile or you can create a pattern using two or more than two differently colored tiles. The visual impact will be very interesting.
- Different Tile Sizes: Try to use colored tiles for floors and walls in different sizes or lay them diagonally to create unique patterns.
- Contrasting Grout Color: Using contrasting grout color with ceramic floor tiles looks very interesting. Ex: if you want to use white tiles then use grout in red, blue, or yellow color for contrast. Do not forget to apply sealers to grout lines in heavy traffic areas to protect and preserve the color of the grout.
- Using Your Favorite Tile Color: If your favorite bathroom tile color is blue, you can consider adding some blue decorative tiles on the walls or use different shapes/textures to make the composition visually appeal.
- Contemporary, Chic Look: Use bold and bright colors with graphics against plain backgrounds. Add contemporary and sleek styled accessories and enjoy the chic look!
- Turn Up the Love Feel: Add a touch of romance to your bathroom with floral tiles in pastel or soft shades such as pink, light blue, light green or use hand painted sinks and maybe get a wooden floor to complete the love-dovey look!
- The Mediterranean Look: A mix of terracotta tiles and Mexican or Spanish hand-painted tiles for the floors will create the trendy Mediterranean look.
The important thing when designing your bathroom is to pay attention to the bathroom tile colors because colors affect your mood, while creating a warm, cold, or intimate ambience in the space. If you like bright colors them peach and yellow could be the colors for you. These warm colors make your bathroom feel cozy. Using neutral colors like beige, white, or similar colors make the area look large and reflect color. Blues, greens, and violets are serene or cool colors, while reds, oranges, purples add a touch of drama to the bathroom as well as absorb light making the area look smaller.
Have fun shopping fro your bathroom tiles. You can also browse bathroom tiles online. Remember to choose tiles that are suited your individual tastes and are practical and don’t give in to trends, though you can always look at them for inspiration!